[ANSTHRLD] Blazon and Device help: Argent chape ploye ermine

Bob Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 17:40:11 PDT 2010

The stag's head is less common than arrows in SCA Heraldry, so making it the primary charge should be easier to resolve conflict than using arrows as the primary charge.  (I have a personal bias against the use of co-primaries - it was a necessary Tudor gimmick to register items pre-Modest Proposal)

Searching the Master Index of the Online SCA Ordinary
http://oanda.sca.org/ordinary/index.html
shows the following registrations under 'Head-Beast-Deer'
http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_desc.cgi?p=HEAD%2dBEAST%2cDEER

On an ermine field:

"Ermine, a moose's head cabossed proper, a gore sinister counter-ermine." (Erik Norton of Helsfjord, Device, November 1992)

"Ermine, a stag's head erased between three roses sable." (Aislynn of Amberwood, Device, July 1984)

Deer Head (As primary charge) with arrows (I used CNTRL+F 'arrow'):

"Per bend sinister purpure and vert, a stag's head caboshed and a sheaf of arrows argent." (Alexander Stuart of Dunvegan, Device, November 1996)

"Sable, a stag's head erased and on a chief rayonny argent an arrow point to dexter sable." (Lachlann Faol-lonn o Lochlon, Device, September 1984)

"Vert, a stag's head cabossed, between its antlers two arrows inverted in saltire argent, a bordure embattled Or." (Kingdom of the Outlands [for the Archer General of the Outlands], Badge, March 1995)

"Vert, in pale a stringless lyre argent fretted with an arrow fesswise reversed and a stag's head cabossed Or." (Lazarus Artifex, Device, June 1991)

"Vert, on a bend sinister cotised between two sheaves of arrows Or a stag's head erased affronty vert." (Cian mac Cellacháin hUí Dublaich, Device, January 2010)

If the submitter wants only a single sheaf of arrows, IMO the Outlands Badge is closest to period style.  Consider "Ermine, a stag's head cabossed between its antlers a sheaf of arrows gules".  Azure should have sufficient contrast as long as the ermine spots are placed carefully.

Having three sheaves of arrows as secondaries is better style still (either between or in chief).  Cross-checking  under 'Arrow - 4 or More'
http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_desc.cgi?p=ARROW%3a4%20or%20more
showed only the following with a head as a primary charge:

"Or, a dragon's head erased gules between three pairs of arrows inverted in saltire sable between flaunches gules." (Rónán de Bhál, Device, April 2004)

Tostig