[ANSTHRLD] Blazon and Device help: Argent chape ploye ermine

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 22 05:04:24 PDT 2010

Yes, Beast-Dog and Beast-Cat have many, many words that conflict.

Usually I check under the primary charge and if the field is divided that
category gets searched too.  I do a word search of OSCAR if there is any
keyword phrase that is unique enough to avoid getting a 1000 results.

The Ordinary has its eccentric behaviors.  Some categories have items
that get a CD from each other mixed together with ones that don't.
Cup is a nasty one with cup, bowl, chalice, goblet, tankard, mazer, etc.
Some items can only be found with a blazon search since they don't have a
category.  A blazon search is also helpful if you think a charge has never
been registered before.  Some sections haven't been divided into smaller
groups by tincture and can have 100s of items.  There are also subdivisions
of catagories that armory description search under Complex Search will
display that the Ordinary won't show you.

The beginning herald should stick to the Ordinary categories.  You only
learn the odd bits of the system by using it over time.

Magnus