[ANSTHRLD] A Question Appropriate to Fall - Leaves

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 24 20:47:37 PDT 2010

[December 2001 LoAR, R-Atlantia]

Atlantia, Kingdom of. Heraldic
title Paulonia Herald.

The word Paulonia is
post-period, as noted by Kraken: Paulownia is a generic name
for several species of trees native to the Orient, having
heart-shaped leaves,and clusters of purple and/or white flowers. It
is colloquially known in some parts of the
South as "elephant
ear tree" or "kudzu's big brother" after being brought
to America in the same time frame as kudzu. The genus is ancient in
its native territory. The name,
alas, appears to date from the 19th
century, as my dictionary gives it as New Latin
after Anna Pavlovna,
Russian princess who died in 1865.

[August 1984 LoAR A-Ansteorra]

Macsen
ap Rhys. Sable, a
spray of three pawlonia leaves, blossomed to chief, and on a chief
argent two increscents sable.

NOTE: This kind of combination
of elements from two distinctly different cultures is something we
should be discouraging.
The pawlonia leaf is a charge from Japanese
heraldry.

[March 1981 LoAR, A-Atlantia]

Minowara
Kiritsubo. Badge.
Three paulonia tendrils conjoined in pall surmounted by three
paulonia leaves conjoined in pall inverted, the upper two tendrils
and the lower two leaves embowed to chief in annulo.

So the charge has been registered but the name is post period.

Magnus