[ANSTHRLD] Name check de LaTour

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 8 17:14:09 PDT 2010

Robert of Coleford wrote:
> I have a client that wishes the late period name de LaTour.

I've seen almost no instances of CamelCase capitalization in period
records.  Instead, when two words are combined into one, that one
word is normally capitalized (or not) just as any other word of its
type would be in the orthographic system in use.  So I'm betting the
best you can hope for is to offer the client a choice between "de La
Tour" and "de Latour".

Aryanhwy merch Catmael's "Late Period French Surnames (used by
women)" <http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/
latefrenchsurnames.html> reports one instance of "de La Tour"
recorded in Picardy in 1597.

None of the resources I checked included "Latour".

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>