[ANSTHRLD] Device question (please bare with me)

Joseph Percer jpercer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 16:52:01 PDT 2011

I'd recommend that you (the submitter, not Tostig) search 'phoenix' on
OSCAR - at http://oscar.sca.org - to get an idea of some of the
phoenixes that have been submitted. You can look at the emblazon (the
picture) instead of just seeing words on a page. The version you
attached in the image file is much too stylized and would likely get
returned for lack of reliable reproducibility. As far as outlining the
phoenix in another colour that's going to be a no-go, it would not be
simple enough to outline, which we call fimbriating.

I also agree that the 'rising from flames' is an essential part of
identifying the Phoenix, and without it, we start going down the road
of calling it something else.

YiS,

Andrewe Bawldwyn
Bordure

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Bob Wade <logiosophia at yahoo.com> wrote:
> In (Western European) heraldry, flames are an essential part of the definition of a phoenix (PicDic 2nd ed and Parker http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/Jpglossp.htm#Phoenix )
> The SCA default posture is "Rising from flames, wings displayed" http://heraldry.sca.org/coagloss.html#default and I didn't see any registrations in another posture http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_desc.cgi?p=MONSTER%2dPHOENIX  Further, as you noted that no registration blazon "armed".  The talons of the phoenix are on the lower half obscured by the flames it is issuing from.  Where did you get a drawing of what the bottom half of a phoenix looks like?
>
> Without the flames the monster becomes just a bird.  The emblazon struck me as a raptor in the striking posture, so I assumed it was a falcon.

Joseph M. Percer, AAS, LP