[ANSTHRLD] Foamy Beer mug (Precedents)

Ronald Blackman eirik at hot.rr.com
Mon Apr 25 12:23:02 PDT 2011

> > On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Bob Wade <logiosophia at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >> Consider "Vert, a tankard Or foamed argent within a bordure Or"
> versus ...
> >>
> >> ... "Per bend sinister sable and azure, a chalice and a bordure
> Or."  (Ursula the Saxon, Device, May 1996)  I se 1 CD for the change of
> tincture to the field but nothing for the type of cup or foam.  Versus
> a "wooden tankard proper" I see a 2nd CD for change of tincture to the
> cup.
There is a third for the tankard vs chalice.
September 1995 LoAR under Meridies acceptances:

Brigid O'Farrell of Beckery. Device. Gules, a tankard between flaunches
argent each charged with a musical note sable.

Versus Cathryn of the Dark Glen, Gules, a chalice between flaunches, each
flaunch charged with a sprig proper, there is one CD for the multiple
changes to tertiaries and another for the very visible difference between a
tankard and a chalice with its long stem and unique outline.

> >> ... "Vert, a goblet Or between three escallops inverted argent all
> within a bordure Or." (Elizabeta da Porta, Device, Mar 2010)  I see 1
> CD for the removal of the escallops but nothing for the type of cup or
> foam.  Versus a "wooden tankard proper" I see a 2nd CD for change of
> tincture to the cup.
Bordure has quoted the precedent for the tankard vs. goblet so this is
clear.

> >> ... "Vert, a doubly-curved drinking horn argent, garnished, within a
> bordure Or." (Anna Georgievna of Kiev, Device, May 1987)  I see 1 CD
> for the change of tincture to the cup but nothing for the type of cup
> or foam.  Versus a "wooden tankard proper" doesn't help.

I agree with Bordure that this would get a CD vs. the tankard.

The submitter could put the tankard on an ordinary such as a roundel that is
either argent or Or to resolve the contrast problems.

Eirik