[ANSTHRLD] Name question: Joe the <color>

Kathleen O'Brien mari_1184 at att.net
Sat Aug 13 12:06:32 PDT 2011

I have just gotten back from Pennsic and am digging through email.  I
haven't finished reading all of this thread yet, so someone else may
have already covered this point.

In Gaelic, "blue" and "green" are not the colors we think of them as in
English.  The Academy of Saint Gabriel client letter 2521 explains:

      "The medieval Irish language split the range of
      colors we call blue and green differently than
      we do: <gorm> "deep blue, leaf-green; swarthy"
      and <glas> "pale blue, light-green; grey".

So, <gorm> versus <glas> refers more to intensity rather than color as
we think of it.  <gorm> is the more saturated hue and <glas> the less
saturated.  That's probably the easiest way to think about it.  So, both
<Gorm> and <Glas> could refer to blue, but which is appropriate is based
on what color/shade of blue you're going for.

Re: your question on <Alasdair>, <Alasdair> is a Gaelic form.  Like
<Alasdrann>, it's derived from the Gaelic <Alaxandar>.  If you look at
the page for <Alaxandar> in the annals index, you'll see how the
different forms sometimes get used to refer to the same person.

Mari