[ANSTHRLD] Tristan L-something

Emily Minier adalia.nyx at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 21:45:05 PST 2011

Parisian Tax Rolls from 1421 and again in 1438 show Lorens as the "spelling
du jour".
http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423surnames.html

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Jennifer Smith <jds at randomgang.com> wrote:

> Client #1 would prefer a French name, circa 1400s-1500s but isn't very
> picky. He definitely wants Tristan as the given name, which I can find
> a fair amount of documentation for already.  He also wants some form
> of "Laurence" as an unmarked patronymic byname, which is where I need
> help. I haven't gone through every article on heraldry.sca.org yet,
> but a brief glance at the 1292 Census of Paris turned up a number of
> possibilities, namely Larenz/Lorens/Lorenz/Lorrenz.
>
> What I still need is citations for later period spellings, and a
> reminder of evidence of whether or not French used unmarked patronymic
> bynames. I know English did, and so I'll offer him a few variations on
> the same for an English context, but I know he's most interested in
> French at the moment.
>
> -Emma

HL Adalia VonderBerg

There are two ways to be creative.  One can sing and dance.  OR one can
create an environment where singers and dancers flourish - Warren Bennis