[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check: Gules, on a cross sable fimbriated Or, ...

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Jul 27 21:42:43 PDT 2011

I think that

Gules, on a cross sable fimbriated a thistle blossom Or.

is clear, but I'd like a cross-check, so to speak.

Normally, "TINC1, a charge TINC2 fimbriated TINC3 ..." needs to be
conflict checked as both "TINC1, a charge TINC2 ..." and as
"TINC1, on a charge TINC3 another TINC2 ..."  However, in this case
interpreting the fimbriation as "on a cross another" would make the
thistle blossom a quaternary, which would be cause for return.
Therefore, we need not consider that type of conflict, per the
precedent of Gwenllian of Emlyn, 8/10 LoAR, Gleann Abhann acceptances,
http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2010/08/10-08lar.html#111

Slipping and leaving is normally not considered a CD.  But thistles
might be a special case among flowers: Jok Macpherson, AEthelmearc
returns, 6/09 LoAR,
http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2009/06/09-06lar.html#11 cited an earlier
precedent on thistles that called conflict based on the tincture of
the slipping and leaving, not on the tincture of the blossom.
Luckily, I don't expect that to be much of a problem, thistles being
few, and I don't see registered examples of crosses (as an ordinary)
with thistles on the same armory.

Danyell de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com