[ANSTHRLD] Keys and crow

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed May 11 21:33:12 PDT 2011

So the blazon would be, I think,

Per chevron sable and argent, two keys palewise wards to dexter base
argent and a crow rising gules.

(Looks up "striking": nope, that's bendwise sinister in a power
dive.)
(Checks in the back of the Tostig: pretty much the same.  Star
or Laurel can file off the "dexter" if they want.)

I too find no conflicts (so THERE, Crandall!).

I looked in the Ordinary, in "Key" under
<http://oanda.sca.org/ordinary/K.html>.  I first looked for
a field of "Per chevron [throughout] sable and argent".
Since there were none, there's at least one CD on this page for the
field.  Then it was a matter of scanning blazons, either looking for a
manifestly different primary (a cross, say), or a peripheral ordinary
(a chief, for example).

I then went over to Bird - Whole - 1 - Rising to dexter.
Nothing under "Per chevron [throughout] sable and argent".
the two designs with the word "key" were clear.  (N.B.: It's often
unsafe to check by a textual search for the charge type.  Consider the
Nine Billion Names of Dog.  But I can't think of anything but "key" to
blazon a key, and I didn't see any variants when looking in "Key".)

I checked a few other bird postures and numbers, just because it took
seconds and in case I mistook the meaning of "striking".

Then I checked both Bird - Whole - 1 - Rising to dexter, and Key, for
"pile", to catch "pile inverted".

Did I miss any areas?

Danihel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com