[ANSTHRLD] Striking contourny vs. striking to sinister

Joseph Percer jpercer at gmail.com
Fri May 6 12:10:54 PDT 2011

I don't believe there's a difference in this case...

Consider the device of the Canton of Hauksgardr  at
http://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=145&id=14116

A reblazon of an old device on the 9/07 LoAR [A-Atenveldt]:

Steven of Shadowkeep. Reblazon of device. Vert, a bald eagle striking
contourny proper fimbriated, in chief a sun in glory Or.

    Originally registered in April 1973 with the blazon Vert, a bald
eagle [Haliaetus leucocephalus] attacking to the sinister proper,
fimbriated Or, in chief a sun in glory, the tincture of the sun was
not clear. As attacking is not a defined heraldic posture, the eagle's
posture has been reblazoned. In accordance with current SCA blazon
practice, we have dropped the Linnaean specification.

Andrewe

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Melissa Barton <m.alanebarton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm still a newbie to the armory side of heraldry, so I apologize if this is
> a really basic question. I wasn't able to readily find an answer.
>
> Is there an actual blazonry difference between a hawk striking contourny and
> a hawk striking to sinister or are these terms synonymous?
>
> In service,
>
> Leonor Ruiz de Lison
> Bonwicke

Joseph M. Percer, AAS, LP