[ANSTHRLD] ISO Badge Graphic - Scribes Badge

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Thu Apr 26 13:15:55 PDT 2012

That has generally been a rule of thumb, but as far as I can find there
is nothing specifying it specifically.  Basically if it does not have a
specified default orientation then it needs to be blazoned.  The
Glossary of terms defines default postures for specific types of
charges, not groups (ie all tools).

There is a default orientation for knife, it says see sword.  Sword
default is point up.  There really is nothing specifying that different
types of the same charge type will have different orientations.  So the
question is would a calligraphy knife be treated differently than other
knives.   I can find no specific ruling stating that the default
orientation of a knife is different based upon its purpose.

I went to look in OSCAR for the word knife and came across 6 submissions
with the word knife in them.  One is a kindjal knife which was point up
(as expected since it is a weapon I believe).  4 are half-moon knives
which are tools so I would class them with the calligrapher's knife and
it was also point up.  Finally there actually is one calligraphy knife
submitted through an-tir in 2009. The device has a per bend field so the
knife is also in per bend, but the blade is at the chief side of the knife.

I would say that unless someone can point me to some sort of precedent
saying that not all knives are equal in the eyes of blazon for
orientaiton then  by default all knives should follow the same
orientation.  Barring that every knife would be need to be listed in the
glossary of term with their default orientation or be required to be
specifically blazoned.

Just my quick 2 cents.
Alasdair