[ANSTHRLD] Other heraldic displays

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Jul 23 10:15:14 PDT 2012

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Tadhg <ld_tadhg at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was just trained from early on that the display of armory was
> reserved to the owner and that such a display implied the presence
> of the owner...and that the tent, flag, shield, etc., belonged to
> the owner.

I think that's a little oversimplified.  Consider examples like

"This stained glass window was placed in St Petrocks Church,
Petrockstowe, Devon, around 1450 by Phillipa Bonville, who was the
wife of William Grenville, parents of Ellen Grenville who married
William Yeo. ..."  They did not live in the church and I don't believe
it was their church (unlike a private chapel) and I don't believe they
could assert ownership of the window.

Consider the Scottish College of Heralds announcing a dissolution of
Parliament from [mumble monument] in Edinburgh, while wearing their
tabards with the royal arms as used in Scotland.

Or the example you adduced: history.

One king of France (Francois I? Louis XI?) put his salamander badge in
stone all over palaces in the Loire valley, but that was his *badge*.

So I think it should be approached de novo: is there some reason why
their arms ought to be on the tent (if it's *on* the tent per se)?  If
they didn't donate it, if it's isn't an interesting decoration (e.g.,
an illustration of the final round of the Crown Tourney held in the
branch, or "hey!  lookit this neato coat of arms!"), or some other
reason ... then maybe don't paint it over, but don't maintain it, and
if it happens to chip off, oh well.

Danet de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com