[ANSTHRLD] Sumptuary question

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 15:41:43 PDT 2012

If the whole fillet is made from metal wire and is over 1/2 wide.... I'd say yes, it would fall under sumptuary laws.   To my knowledge, there are no rules that a baronial coronet is required to be a solid circle, many are made to be adjusted by having an opening in the back connected by leather cord.

If the metal braid is a decorative element added to a woven fiber length, such as inkle-loom woven, then probably no, as I've seen a number of folks use inkle-woven belts on their heads to keep a veil in place (men and women), as a head covering.

Kingdom sumptuary rules can be found at:
http://seneschal.ansteorra.org/forms/Kingdom_Law_2012.pdf

It statesSection 7 : Fillets A. Any member of the populace may wear a metal fillet not to exceed ½ inch in width.
B. Any metal-looking band across the front of the head is a coronet, if it exceeds the stated dimension or is decorated in any of the ways noted above.

Perhaps you can provide a link to a photo image of the piece.
Cheers, Hillary