[ANSTHRLD] Phrasing: battled embattled + conflict check

Doug Bell magnus77840 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 3 05:02:40 PDT 2012

Many of these lines can be seen at:
http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/primer/complex.html

SENA Appendix M: Some Resources for Conflict Checking has some useful information.

Complex lines of division that conflict:
Broadly, complex lines of division fall into several groups.  In general, there is a DC between variants that belong to different groups.  There is in general a DC between any two lines in the "jagged" group; as research has proved that these lines were common and were considered distinct by period heralds unlike the situation for the "square" group and the "wavy" group.  In addition, there is in general a DC between any two lines in the "other" group, as it is a catch-all with no relationship between them.  Those listed as "variants of straight line" also conflict with a straight line.
Straight line variants: plain, ployé, enarched,
Square: embattled, dovetailed, bretessed, embattled counterembattled,
raguly, denticulada
Wavy: Wavy, nebuly, urdy
Long: Rayonny
Jagged: indented, engrailed, invected, dancetty, lozengy
Other: bevilled, potenty, flory-counterflory, indented fleury at the points, left step/right step, rompu, triangular

So I believe bretessed grady will conflict with urdy and the Square group.
If you give me the suspected conflict I can check it with more certainty.

Magnus