[ANSTHRLD] Using Lena Peterson's Nordiskt Runnamnslexikon for Old Norse names and finding dates

Christie Ward val_org at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 21 10:03:15 PDT 2012

I have answered this question twice this morning for different folks, so I thought I'd share it more widely.

Lena Peterson's Nordiskt runnamnslexikon (http://www.sofi.se/servlet/GetDoc?meta_id=1472) is a nice source of names from runic inscriptions. If you go to the URL, on the
left you will see a button that appears to say, "Lexikon A-Q". Click
that to get the names in an alphabetical list.  Some helpful abbreviations: "fsv" Old Swedish; "fda" Old Danish; "fvn" Old West Norse.
The headword for each name is the normalized Old East Norse form.

So, let's pick up a couple of names from Peterson:

Sefa kvn.

Feminin motsvarighet till → Sefi/Siafi.

Nom. sifa Sö14$

Gen. sifuR Sö96

Litt.: VgR s. 261.

Sefi/Siafi mn.

Fsv. Sæve

Av best. formen av fsv. adj. siæver, sæver ’lugn, stillsam, saktmodig,

sävlig’. (Namnformerna Sefi och Siafi har inte tidigare förts samman i litt.)

Nom. s(i)afi U435

Gen. sifa Vg193

Ack. s(i)fa Vg136

In English, that works out to be something like:

Sefa (feminine name).

Feminine equivalent to → Sefi / Siafi.

Nominative: sifa Sö14$

Genitive: sifuR Sö96.