[ANSTHRLD] Fwd: Name research question

Marie de Blois erminespot at gmail.com
Thu May 24 07:38:03 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2012, Scott Carledge <scat at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>> tmcd at panix.com:
>> > The patterns may be more subtle than you realize.  Knowing Oxford
>> > and Swinford, you can infer a pattern of "large domesticated
>> > animal + ford".  There's Hartford too, so it's probably that
>> > "large four-legged animal + ford" is the real pattern.
>>
>> Nor would it support Sheepford
>
> Why not?  (q.v.)

Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure that the examples support it, since this
is exactly the example in SENA:

http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/sena.html#PN1B2b4

4. New Placenames Constructed from Attested Elements and Patterns: New
placenames can be created by combining attested elements.

For example, the attested English place names Oxford, Swinford and
Hartford indicate a pattern of kinds of large hooved animals with
-ford.  Therefore, this pattern would support a similar name like
Sheepford.  This pattern would not, however, support constructing
Bookford or Duckford, since neither books nor ducks are large hooved
animals.

For example, there is a pattern of adding family names to existing
placenames in English. Following this pattern, the attested family
name Peverel can be added to the attested placename Bercroft to
construct the compound placename Bercroft Peverel.

Hope this helps! :)

Marie