[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check: Gyronny of eight azure and pean, on a lozenge Or a sheaf of arrows argent

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue May 29 21:22:11 PDT 2012

On Tue, 29 May 2012, Darnell Daniels wrote:
> From: Darnell Daniels <dmage121 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [ANSTHRLD] Conflict check: Gyronny of eight azure and pean,
>     on a lozenge Or a sheaf of arrows argent
>
> I checked this against the Armory but would like a second set of
> eyes. You can see the image at the link below.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3641500048790&set=a.1471610042896.59331.1612997228&type=3

Thank you for the image.

The default for gyronny is eight pizza slices.  The arrows are not
argent, which you be an insta-boing for metal on metal, but azure.
(Yeah, it's hard to learn the difference.  The only thing that made it
easier for me was high school French, knowing that "argent" was the
French word for 'silver'.)  You mentioned the gyronny's tinctures in
the right order and it's otherwise fine.  The lozenge could grow some
to fit the field, but I'd still blazon it

Gyronny azure and pean, on a lozenge Or a sheaf of arrows azure.

Insta-boing for contrast.

= SENA

Under SENA, the incoming rules,
http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/sena.html#A3B1 , "Tinctures and their
Classifications", says "For the purposes of tincture, ermined furs are
grouped in the same way as their background color."  So it's classed
the same as "gyronny azure and sable".

http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/sena.html#A3B2 , "Definition of Good
Contrast", defines "good contrast" as a metal and a color (and a
couple of cases involving a neutral tincture, but there are no neutral
tinctures here).

http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/sena.html#A3B3d

     Elements Otherwise Divided: Elements not already mentioned must
     have good contrast between their parts.  These include fields or
     charges evenly divided into four parts other than quarterly or per
     saltire, fields or charges evenly divided into more than four
     parts of two different tinctures, and fields or charges unevenly
     divided into multiple parts of two different tinctures must have
     good contrast between adjacent parts of the field.

= RfS

RfS VIII.2, http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/rfs.html#8.2 ,
same things, different order, not as clearly written
- "Ermined furs or field treatments on a background of one of these
tinctures [sable etc.] are treated as colors for contrast"
- Good contrast
- "Elements evenly divided into multiple parts of two different
tinctures must have good contrast between their parts."  But there are
special cases above and below for two, three, per saltire, and
quarterly, so you have to infer "if not otherwise covered".