[ANSTHRLD] Website functionality

Kathleen O'Brien mari_1184 at att.net
Wed May 30 20:56:53 PDT 2012

FYI, the ILoIs used to be in a searchable format as separate files.  I
believe that one of the reasons they were changed was because of
problems with webcrawlers grabbing email addresses out of them and
auto-mailing them.  Something to remember as we go forward

Another issue, in addition to the private commentary issue, is that
older ILoIs had lots of contact information in them.  So, that's
something to think about how to handle.

What would be simplest would be a password protected area where we can
put the older stuff behind and not have to filter it.  CoH members would
have passwords and could access the unedited files.

This is what we ended up doing with the old LoIs and LoCs for the CoA.
They are uploaded into OSCAR (well, as I progress through scanning the
great heaping piles of LoIs and LoCs) and anyone with commenter access
in OSCAR can read them.  The reasoning behind that is that the original
audience for these was the CoA mailing list, and that function is
handled currently via OSCAR CoA level commenter rights.

If we're interested, it may be worth checking with Istvan to see if the
kingdom garden functionality could be applied to a file upload area for
each kingdom - where commenters for the kingdom could access the
uploaded files.  Something to think about anyway.  That would allow us
to maintain one set of account permissions and the files would be
included in the OSCAR backup.

Mari