[ANSTHRLD] Website functionality

Kathleen O'Brien mari_1184 at att.net
Wed May 30 22:07:12 PDT 2012

> I'm also thinking of organization - how best to break down and/or keep
> things separate. Having things broken down by Kingdom would at least
> give me a framework for where to put stuff - and have a place to put
> those LoCs that are not from a Kingdom commenter by using the Laurel
> 'garden', possibly. I have been struggling with the whole organization
> bit, honestly, and was going to try and tackle that after visiting with
> various people at KW (and after). ANY ideas welcome!
>
> Shauna

After going through thousands of LoCs (Yes, I'm not kidding.  It's
thousands and climbing!), it became obvious to me that the only feasible
way to deal with historical LoCs was to make one folder per author (by
heraldic title, or SCA name in cases where someone did not have a
heraldic title at that point).  The idea is that when we build sorting
for the LoCs (and Istvan and I've talked about how to do that), that the
presentation for that sorting would drive the "by kingdom" part.  The
issue is that there are titles that have changed kingdoms and people who
have changed kingdoms.  So, you can't build in kingdoms into the folder
organization and have it work across the board.  There are also heraldic
titles that started out as staff titles but ended up as personal titles.

Besides, current LoCs are not tracked by kingdom - they're only tracked
by commenter if you go to the Archive page.  So, having solely a
commenter layer under an LoC header matches the current OSCAR format.

Just for chuckles, I went to my uploaded LoC directory and got info on
it.  2325 folders (so, that's basically the count of LoCs + commenters)
and 35.8 GB.

And counting - I'm literally uploading LoCs from 1993 as I type this...

Anyone with CoA commenter access in OSCAR can see these old LoIs and
LoCs that I've uploaded.  They're under the Archive area; click on
"Scanned Images" link.  That's also where old April 1st LoIs are.
They're a hoot.  Enjoy them when you need a good laugh!

Mari
P.S.  I won't be able to attend KWHS, so I won't get a chance to see
folks there this year.