[ANSTHRLD] A platypus and two sporks

Jacquie Ziegler shauna at bresnan.net
Fri Nov 16 08:17:29 PST 2012

On 11/16/2012 5:00 AM, John Atkinson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Plants and animals which cannot be documented to be known to Europeans
>> before 1600 (from the interior of Africa, northern Asia, or parts of
>> the United States that were not systematically explored by Europeans
>> before 1600, for example) will not be registered.  While grey period
>> citations will be considered, the great expansion of knowledge
>> Europeans gained about the rest of the world between 1600 and 1650
>> means that the burden of proof of pre-1600 knowledge here is slightly
>> higher."
> Since Europeans did not even find Australia, much less catalog the
> wildlife, until 1606, this one is going to be a problem.  Wikipedia
> claims the first platypus pelt was sent to England in 1798.
>
> John
I had a client come to consult at an event two weeks ago who wanted a
platypus.

After discussing the whole 'fauna know to Europe before 1600' bit, he
decided that
he wanted a beaver holding (either maintaining or sustaining, depending
on the final
artwork) a duck-billed axe.

Just a suggestion on thinking 'outside the box'.

Baroness Shauna
Artemisian lurker