[ANSTHRLD] multi generation Gaelic names

Doug Bell magnus77840 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 13:51:01 PDT 2012

An issue has come up the a Gaelic submitter. Do we register Gaelic patronymics with two uses of Uí in its meaning as grandson of or male descendent of?

I remember we registered names with two Uí names in the 1990s though the use of the contraction ni. I think that was discontinued as post period but it is the abbrevation for inghean Uí. It also caused a lot of 'knights who say ni' jokes at the time.

The Gaelic compiled precedents have been searched with no useful information produced. The rulings since 2005 are harder to search. Next I am headed to the Annals to look for examples.

We register patronymics in Welsh and Arabic that contain several generations. I wonder if we also register them for Gaelic.

best regards
Magnus