[ANSTHRLD] Help with OSCAR from my Electronic Commenting class

Doug Bell magnus77840 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 04:35:30 PDT 2012

If you posted a comment in the current OSCAR session using the back page button may: take you to the previous page, give you a page expired error, give you a You have opened a second page for editing error, or put you back in a random previous comment entry window. So I just don't use back page while in OSCAR.

Any and all of the OSCAR issues mentioned occur randomly, often rarely, in an intermittant manner that can't easily be tested and reproduced. Fixing an issue might not be difficult but diagnosis of the cause can be almost impossible. Tracking intermittant bugs is a nightmare in programming and often not worth the trouble. These issues are annoyances rather than bugs that destroy commentary and data.

I see the italics/underline bug about once every six months in all the LoI/KLoI commentary that goes through OSCAR. That's pretty rare.

It does sound like the random page return may be less of a problem. I will be more patient to see if OSCAR self resolves when it happens.

Waiting for Godot may be a nice play but Waiting for OSCAR isn't.

If you meet with any of these issues there are work arounds given in the article.

If you don't run into these issues with OSCAR just be thankful the gods of computer mischief haven't found you ... yet.

best regards
Magnus