[ANSTHRLD] Swiss Guard Oath of Loyalty

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue May 7 08:44:33 PDT 2013

Forwarding from another list, thought this oath text maybe of interest to some.
Cheers, Hillary
Swiss Guard Oath of Loyalty
Instituted: in remembrance of the Swiss Guards who died during the Sack of Rome
in 1527.
Commemorated May 6

In 1506, Pope Julius II to invited to Rome the Helvetian soldiers, renowned for
their courage, noble sentiments and loyalty. January 22nd, 1506, is the
official date of birth of the Pontifical Swiss Guard, because on that day,
towards the evening, a group of one hundred and fifty Swiss soldiers commanded
by Captain Kasparvon Silenen, of Canton Uri, passed through the Porta del
Popolo and entered for the first time the Vatican, where they were blessed by
Pope Julius II. As allies of Pope Julius II in 1512 they helped to shape
Italy's destiny and were granted by the Pope the title of "Defenders of
the Church's freedom" .

May 6th: The Recruits Take their Oath of Loyalty
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/swiss_guard/swissguard/giuramento_en.htm

There is a date in the history of the Swiss Guard in the Vatican, that is
closely linked with the history of the Church herself, because it was a day
marked by the blood of 147 of her sons: May 6th, 1527, the Sack of Rome. This
date, which in 1527 was a day of death, today, is a day of life, because each
year on this day, the new recruits take their solemn oath of loyalty. It is a
most moving ceremony which takes place in the historic St. Damaso Courtyard
within the Vatican City, in the presence of religious personalities, political
and military representatives of the Swiss Confederation and many relatives,
friends and admirers of the Guard. The Guard, from the Commandant down to the
newest Halberdier, is in full dress-uniform, a marvellous sight. The band with
its superb drummers is warmly applauded. The Chaplain, Msgr Alois Jehle, gives
a solemn reading of the oath:

"I swear I will faithfully, loyally and honourably serve the Supreme
Pontiff John Paul II and his legitimate successors, and also dedicate myself to
them with all my strength, sacrificing if necessary also my life to defend
them. I assume this same commitment with regard to the Sacred College of Cardinals
whenever the See is vacant.

Furthermore I promise to the Commanding Captain and my other superiors,
respect, fidelity and obedience. This I swear! May God and our Holy Patrons
assist me!"

Then one by one the new recruits are called by name. Each one advances alone,
and with his left hand he grasps the Guard's standard, holding high
his right hand with three fingers open, as a symbol of the Trinity, Father, Son
and Holy Spirit, and he confirms the oath:

"I, . . ., swear I will observe faithfully, loyally and honourably all
that has now been read out to me! May God and his saints assist me!"
These saints included especially the Guard's Patrons, St. Martin (November
11th), St. Sebastian (January 20th), and St. Niklaus von Flüe, "Defensor
Pacis et pater patriae" (September 25th).