[ANSTHRLD] names in calendars of tudor fiants

Coblaith Muimnech coblaithm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 21:31:34 PDT 2016

I recently came across the calendars of fiants from the Tudor monarchs that
were produced by the Deputy Keeper of the Public Records in Ireland in the
late 19th century, and was struck by how useful they might be for name
documentation if there were a ready way to navigate to and within them. So
I made myself a little list of links for that.  And then I added some info
on the languages used in the fiants and evidence of normalization (or the
lack thereof) in the calendars, to make it easier to evaluate them as
sources, and uploaded the whole thing to my website so I can cite myself if
I ever use anything from them in a submission.

If any of you are interested in 16th-century English and Anglicized Irish
names, you might find something intriguing there.  (I saw some pretty wild
given names and some weird name constructions glancing through it.  I might
of major projects finished.)  Or if you find yourself with a submitter
who's insistent that he needs to register his Irish granny's EXACT surname,
whether there's any reason to think it was ever used in period or not, you
might get lucky looking it up in the indices.  There are plenty of variants
listed.

You can find the article at <http://coblaith.net/Names/TudorFiants.html>.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:CoblaithM at gmail.com>