[ANSTHRLD] Changes for reporting and from Laurel

Star Principal Herald kingdom at herald.ansteorra.org
Sat Mar 31 18:39:04 PDT 2018

I know that the weather is getting hotter.   For those heralds doing site
and list heraldry, please make sure you stay hydrated and keep things handy
to sooth your throat.

I am also changing the reporting deadlines for all my deputies.  Locals are
supposed to be reporting on the 5th of Feb, May, Aug, and Nov.  Regionals
and all my Deputies must report to me by the 19th of Feb, May, Aug, and
Nov.  I as Principal Herald need to report to Laurel by the 1st of March,
June, September, and December.  I will work to get this updated on the
website.  Please mark calendars accordingly.

Please also reach out to the Armillary Herald if you are doing consultation
tables.  This can be a full-service table or just a research consultation
table.  Armillary is going to need a month’s notice at least though so
please keep that in mind when you are requesting her services.

This is from the January 2018 Cover Letter:

*From Laurel: Hate Symbols and Armory*

*The College of Arms has a long and proud history of rejecting the use
ofhate symbols. Swastikas have been banned for decades. While the ban
onlyapplied to armory submissions, it's also an important part of the
SCApolicy against the symbol and against symbols of hate in general.The
heraldic rules against hate symbols are found in Section A.7 of SENA,which
states in part, "No armorial design that is offensive to a largesegment of
members of the SCA or the general public will be registered."Other parts of
the same rule explicitly mention neo-Nazis and the KKK asgroups whose
symbols will not be allowed. Similar rules disallow referencesto hate
groups and ethnic slurs in names. Over time, the Laurel office hasalso
banned any registration of symbols primarily associated with hategroups
including the triskelion gammadion (or three-armed swastika, used
bypro-Apartheid hate groups in South Africa), and the SS lightning
boltsigil. Additionally, submissions that make multiple references to
hategroups have been disallowed even when each symbol by itself had a
moreinnocent use in the mundane world.The world is changing, with
nationalist movements on the rise in Europe andthe United States. The
resurgence of these movements, and their use ofNorse, Anglo-Saxon, and
other medieval symbols, have sparked debate onwhether these symbols should
likewise be banned or whether their use in anarmorial design should simply
be carefully examined to see if thecumulative effect of the design crosses
a line and becomes offensive. TheSovereigns are currently developing a plan
to adjudicate these symbols asthey arise and have enlisted the help of
Schwarzdrachen to gain a betterunderstanding of European policies on hate
symbols. Once this work iscompleted, we will have more to say on the
matter.*

Please make sure you are reading the LoARs for any changes that are coming
from Laurel as it does affect what we do.

In Service,

Alisone McCay
Star Principal Herald
Ansteorra