HERB - basil

RAISYA RAISYA at aol.com
Mon Apr 20 03:17:59 PDT 1998

Ulrica,

>What would you all recommend for wanting to keep some basil and such in
>pots?

If you're starting plants for transplant to the garden, start with small pots
and your favorite potting soil mix.  Fill the pot most of the way, spread a
few seeds on the top (it germinates well), and then cover with a very thin
layer of potting soil and water thoroughly.  Until the plants sprout, water
daily (setting in a shallow pan of water can help too).  After they sprout,
water at least every other day and keep in a sunny window.  Once you are past
your last frost day, they can be transplanted safely.

If you want to keep the plants in pots, there are a couple of differences.
I'd start with at least an 8" pot, thin to one plant and once it is about 6"
tall, transplant it to at least a 12" pot.  You can grow decent plants in a
12" pot, but larger would probably be better.  And unless you're using one of
those fertilized mixes, you'll need to fertilize a plant kept in a pot, how
often will depend on what you use.  I like a weak manure tea about once a
week.

Funny you should ask about basil in a pot, ask me sometime about the basil
plant that went to Gulf War this year <G>.

Raisya Khorivovna