HERB - DianaFiona <DianaFiona@aol.com>: SC - Violet roots

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Apr 22 20:39:26 PDT 1998

It is amazing how much herbal discussion is happening on the SCA Cooks
list, but here is another posting I just knew had to come here too.
	Christianna
From: DianaFiona <DianaFiona at aol.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject: SC - Violet roots
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 01:41:28 EDT

     Well! Ya'll may not get *all* my violet roots, after all! One of the
most
knowledgable folks on that mundane herb list I mentioned just happened to
say
that she had a paper about violets webbed at :
http://sunsite.unc.edu/herbmed/neat-stuff/viola.html
      She had the following to say about the roots:

"Violet roots are antipyretic, diuretic, expectorant, emollient, emetic
and
cathartic. Violet root is used for reducing coughs, cooling fevers, and
soothing sore feet. It can be toxic in excess. In Europe cough syrup is
made
from violet root. Viola odorata root tincture (5-15 drops per day) or
Viola
tricolor (pansy) root tincture (5-25 drops perday) are used for
respiratory
distress, to cool fevers and break up mucus.Pansy root tincture reduces
congestion and moves urine. Viola odorata root tincture also calms
coughs,
reduces inflammation, clears the lingering effects of pertussis and
reduces
hysteria. The fresh or dried roots, crushed and steeped for several hours
in
vinegar are used to poultice sore, hot, infected feet and the feet of
diabetics."

     Sounds like Iike I'll have to play a bit--and what she had to say
about
the leaves made me feel guilty about the ones I pulled out of the
strawberry
bed tonight. Oh, well, there's *Plenty* more left! ;-) No, didn't have
time to
go after the roots in that bed--that'll have to wait for next week at the
earliest...........

           Diana