HERB - hello

Raphaela of Bere Glyn raphaela at pacbell.net
Fri Aug 14 08:21:02 PDT 1998

Yes, and no, gophers of the hungry kind that Paul is talking about are a little
more rare but they do bother most gardners in most of the US.  I'm writting to you
from Southern California and we have small ones here in LA county that can be
controled with different plants put around the outside of the garden.  When we
lived in Northern California in the Eueka area I had to deal with the big ones
that mothballs, gopher be gone plants, garlic, water hose down the hole and
chicken wire burried 1 1/2 feet around the garden didn't stop.  We had to use
Charlie (our queensland healer, rotwieler mix) to get them and traps.  I finally
found a bug spray that worked but not before most of my 6 foot tall tomatoes were
gone.  That was one of my biggest learning experiences in gardening.
Raphaela