HERB - lavender cotton

melc2newton@juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Fri Aug 14 14:35:28 PDT 1998

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998 09:20:11 -0500 khkeeler <kkeeler at unlinfo.unl.edu>
writes:
>Greetings
>
>  Last spring on a plant list (from Tusser?) there was lavender
>cotton,
>and someone said "another lavender" referring to it, and I've been
>meaning all summer to comment--
>	lavender cotton is a common name for _Santolina_ a pretty and
>sweet-smelling herb (well, herbs, there are several species) used in
>Period as a strewing herb.  It is no relation to the lavenders.  It is
>not generally included in herbals but I grew some a few years ago and
>liked it very much.
>
>Agnes
>kkeeler1 at unl.edu
Um, is Santolina it's whole name, or is there more to it, allowing me to
confuse the nurseries down here in Springfield, Mo even more? Also, is
this a fussy grower, or does it even care where it's put? We're zone 6
over here, and between rocky clay soil and basically unpredictable
weather, the plants with really good survival instincts (ie the sages,
tansy, ect.) are the ones I've had the best successes.
Beatrix