HERB - Back From the War

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Aug 17 10:28:32 PDT 1998

Well, we have made it home safe and sound.  We encountered several
problems on the road (both there and back again) but my lord was well
prepared with his tools at hand, and we made it with nothing more than
time inconveniences and very little monetary cost.  After having stopped
no less than 5 times for trouble on the way up, we were very tense when
we got there, and it took us a couple of days to relax into it, but we
were able to have a wonderful time after all.
My highlights included:
	Camping with many fine folks from Meridies (including Their
Majesties, Robert and Aelfgifu - His Majesty and I seemed to spend every
morning in line for the porta-castle together!)
	Singing with the Known World Choir - the program was Christmas
music, and was the best performance I have ever been involved in
personally with that group.  The finale was an appearance by Father
Christmas, who was a real hit! (Guess who that was!)
	Singing with the band- sometimes known as Revelwood, and
sometimes as Hot Irish Sausage - never very organized but almost always a
rollicking good time.
	Having no less than 3 of my proteges on site, and having them all
be busy and productive members of the Pennsic experience (except when
they ganged up on me and tried to get pictures of me laying exhausted on
the floor of my not-yet completed pavillion!)  Bronwen's LandCratting was
a success, and her "Century 12 - Realators to Meridies"  sign was a real
hit.  Rayne helped me run the King's Taste booth, and we all did rather
well and had a good time doing it.  Roget was occupied with his new lady,
but the 'Cabana of Love' was entertaining anyway.  (And he showed up to
get pictures of the concert.  Thanks, I hope they come out well!)
	The SCA Cook's List Reception.  It was wonderful to put faces to
names from that electronic list, and the food was wonderful.  The only
pot-luck I have ever been to that every single dish came with its own
documentation!  I missed the Herb List reception and the Middle Bridge
Luncheon, (so much to do, so little time)  but enjoyed meeting a few
folks from those lists as well.
	The Meridian Known World Party, as always very well attended and
fun.  THLady Celestine did a wonderful job with the food and drinks, and
I think a good time was had by all.  I attended a few other parties that
were fun, although I avoided HELL (too crowded, people were just DYING to
get in!) and just peeked over the fence.
	Bitches Night Out - a Ladies-Only evening that ended up with
roughly 30 NOISY FEMALES out on the prowl, we got turned away from more
parties than I attended all week (even the Horde was afraid of us!), but
Clan Preachain finally let us all in.  Our escort, 6'7" tall Mutante was
wonderful, and even secured us a bus ride from the north gate to East
Kingdom's gate, a field trip that ended up with Max the bus driver
getting kisses from all 30 of us, which left him smiling the rest of the
evening.
	The weather was fairly nice, our new streamlined shower was a
hit, the food in camp was good, and I even had a couple of pleasant
evenings sitting at home with good companionship, conversation and the
occasional song, story, and joke.  The only drawback for us was the fact
that we were only there for 6 days, but don't feel too sorry for us, we
cut Pennsic short because we are going to England in just over a month
from now!  So, its time to start getting ready for that trip, and putting
another Pennsic's memories behind us.
	We're glad to be home, and looking forward to hearing from others
about their experiences as well.

Mistress Christianna
(who's feet are mostly clean, but who's laundry is not)