HERB - Back From the War

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Tue Aug 18 06:43:17 PDT 1998

Hi, everyone!  We finally made it back yesterday afternoon, after a 26 hour
straight-through drive.  There was a terrible accident in Louisiana on one of
the bayou bridges that apparently involved close to 100 vehicles, we were
detoured around it.

Sorry the thunderstorm on Monday pretty much cancelled the herb list get-
together.  We'll have to make another try for next year, and start planning
earlier.  Vaclav had even volunteered to stand out at the road with herbs
pinned all over him as a sign <G>.  I don't know if Vaclav took another woods
battle/herb walk, but later in the week there were bunches of stuff hanging
all over his pavilion <G>.  He brought me some boneset.

Let's see, I got a stack of reprinted "house wife's" books, and bought
lavender, thyme, and hyssop.  Saw a lot of things I would really love to have,
but can't afford yet, but didn't find some of the books I was hoping for.

The biggest highlight of my week was my husband's knighting (hard to top that
<G>).  I went to the loom weavers' tea and learned a LOT.  I got the chance to
meet some people that I've heard stories about for years, and hear some of the
stories from their own lips.  Several nights, I went to sleep to the sound of
drumming (better than a lullaby to me <G>).  And was in on several wonderful
suprises (and got one myself <G>).  Never did find time to party, I have to
work on that next year.

The bad news is, when I got home, one section of my soaker hose had clogged or
something, and I lost some of my best plants.  I've watered them and a few may
come back, but it's a depressing sight.  The worst may be the European
strawberry plant that I grew from seed, that plant's been my baby for 2 years
now.  There were some lavender plants, a rue, a minature rose that was
blooming, some mint plants, some rocket, a garlic, and a couple of others.  I
may have to change my plans for some of this fall's projects, sigh.

Hope everyone else had a good time and a safe trip too!

Jasmine,

You're Dark Yard?  Were you there Tuesday night for Mistress Aleecia's
stories?  She's one of my laurels, and I work for her at Pennsic.

Raisya