HERB - Back From the War

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Thu Aug 20 07:01:13 PDT 1998

Jasmine,

>>Let's see, I got a stack of reprinted "house wife's" books,

>Oooh. Which ones are those? Anything the rest of us would be
>interested in?

We finally got the trailer unpacked, let's see, I have Gervase Markham's book,
THE ENGLISH HOUS-WIFE (1649), Thomas Dawson's book THE GOOD HUSWIFES JEWELL
(1596),  Eleanour Sinclair Rohde's book A GARDEN OF HERBS (1936/1969), and a
booklet by Susan Evans, POMANDERS AND SWEET BAGS, that quotes some period
recipes.  The other books are mostly period cookbooks.

Actually, I'd like to hear opinions on A GARDEN OF HERBS.  There's some good
stuff in the book, but I've also come across statements she makes that are at
odds with more modern writers.  What's the general feeling about this book?

Raisya