HERB - Antique Roses

nweders@mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Aug 23 08:16:47 PDT 1998

Raisya said,

>Just curious, how is the rugosa rosa doing in Austin?  I'd been told it
didn't
>do well this far south.

	Well, I went off to the Bookstore and browsed and from what Icould find
they may be fine in in Austin.  They like almost anything and I will keep
you informed.  It seems to be happy sitting on the porch in the container
and has blloomed twice.  i will have to go back and get one more because
the only way you can set hips on it is with two plants....
	I have a sweet briar from Antique Rosse Emporium... we accidently planted
it in a not so good spot so we are moving it this fall.  It doesn't get
enough sun and it currently competing with a huge vertiver plant, Thomas is
trying to kill.  The vetivert is so big we can't dig it up (big root
structure).  The Emporium is great -- we drive over there about once in
awhile and pick up a rose.  They have apothecary roses there... I keep
looking for a rosamundi (one of the striped red and white ones.) Some of
them do very well well in pots.  There's a good book out called "Antique
Roses of the South" that lists good container antiique roses.  I have seven
in the yard, with varyiing degrees of success and am thinking about having
one in a container just to try it out...

>In fact, I'm reconsidering all of my garden plans.... <G>

  Losing a bunch of plants will do that so I try to look on the bright
side.  One of our trees is now placing my herb bed completely in shadow so
now I' moving them all to other areas.... It's what happend when a
tree-o-holic meets up with an herb grower.....

Clare