HERB - Porta's Eye Wash Recipe

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Mon Aug 31 14:38:05 PDT 1998

Clare wrote:
>BTW, could you print the recipe that you are redacting?  I'd be interested
>in seeing the whole thing.  If you've already printed it I may have missed
>it.

I actually hadn't posted the recipe, but I will in case anyone
else would like to redact it themselves. (I'd love to compare
notes, especially concerning the other questions I have.)

The only version of Porta's eye wash rememdy that I've been able to
find is from the 1638? transcribed edition of the 1584 publication of
"Magiae naturalis" (or Natural Magick). I got it online from a site
that had the information transcribed and I've been looking in the
local libraries (and asking them to search) for a print copy.

As I understand it, the 1584 edition was expanded from the originally
published 4 volume set in Latin (1558 is the date I have). The 1584
edition was translated from the original Latin into English and a
variety of other languages as was popular at the time.

jasmine
jasmine at infoengine.com or g.walli at infoengine.com

--------------------------------

The Eigth Book of Natural Magick

Chapter IV

"Excellent Remedies for the Eyes."

Heretofore, being much troubled with sore eyes, and becoming
almost blind, when I was given over by physitians of best
account, a certain Empyrick undertook me, who, putting this
water into my eye, cured me the very same day.  I might almost
say, the very same hour.  By gifts, entreaties, cunnings and
money, I gained the secret, which I will not think much to
set down, that every one may use it at their pleasure.  It
is good for inflammations, blearness, mists, fistulas, and
such like, and cures them certainly the second day, if not
the first.  If I should set down all those whom I have cured
by it, I should be too tedious.  Take two bottles of greek
wine, half a pint of white Rose Water, of Celendine, two ounces,
of Fennel, Rue, Eye-Bright, as much, of Tutty, half an ounce,
of Cloves as much, Sugar-Candy of Roses, one drachm, Camphire,
half a drachm , and as much Aloes.  Tutty is prepared after
this manner.  Let it be heated and extinguished six times in
Rose Water, mixed with greek wine, but let the water at last
be left out.  Powder what are to be powdered finely, and mix
them with the waters.  Aloes is incorporated with water thus.
Because it will not be powdered, let it be put into a mortar
with a little of the forementioned waters, and beat together
until it turns to water, and swim about in ropings, and covered,
and waxed up that it does not exhale abroad in the sun and dew
for fourty days, still shaking them four times in a day.  At
last, when it is well sunned, set it up and reserve it for your
use.  It must be applied thus,

"In Inflammations, Blood-shots and Fistulula's,"

Let the patient lie flat on his back.  And when a drop of this
water is put upon his eye, let him open and shut his eyelids,
that the water may run through all the cavities of the eye.
Do this twice or thrice a day, and he shall be cured.