HERB - Redacting Porta's Eye Wash

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Mon Aug 31 15:31:40 PDT 1998

In the process of redacting Porta there are also another two items
that, while seemingly straightforward, are actually troublesome to
me. Porta calls for "half a pint of white Rose Water." I've already
determined imperial measures are probably in order here, but what
is does the "white" mean? I suspect it might not mean literally
"roses that are white" but instead, water from roses, that is clear
rather than pink or brown. Any one care to comment?

Also, he calls for "Sugar-Candy of Roses". I'm going to assume this
means, simply candied rose petals, based on two turn of the century
cookbooks I looked in (20th century, that is). Any care to comment?

I looked in Stefan li Rous's Floregium files and there is an article
getting ready to be put into the archives called "Divers Pretty Things
Made Of Roses & Sugar" by Mistress Renata Kestryl of Highwynds that
might help me out if I could get to it.

Doesn't it feel silly to hear these questions? They sound silly
to my ear, but when it comes right down to it, the order of words
can really mess you up, if you're not careful in a redaction.
Thanks for listening. :)

Jasmine

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm (Metro-Detroit area of Michigan)
jasmine at infoengine.com or g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
-- Hroswith of Gandersheim