HERB - St. Johs Wort

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Sat Dec 5 22:58:39 PST 1998

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Mike and Pat Luco wrote:
> I've heard that St. Johns wort is called thus because it blooms near the feast of St.
> John.  I'm not too good with these celebrations, so just when is the feast of St. John?
> I'd like to know when the dern wort will bloom.  It hasn't put on a bloom all year.

The Feast of St. John the Baptist (St. John the Evangelist) is June 24.
This was often conflated with the Summer Solstice, and folklorists think
that older midsummer rituals became associated with the Feast of St. John
after the spread of Christianity.

St. Johnswort is supposed to bloom small yellow flowers around midsummer,
and it's supposed to be a periennal. Wreathes of the flowers were used in
celebrating midsummer/St. John's Eve, and these wreaths were used for
folk magic throughout the year (but only those which were gathered at
midsummer.)

I don't think the plant blooms the first year, though...

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental; HERMS Cyclonus), mka Jennifer Heise
jenne at tulgey.browser.net

"Healing the universe is an inside job."