HERB - Utne reader on absinthe

Kathleen H. Keeler kkeeler at unlinfo.unl.edu
Fri Jul 3 21:48:04 PDT 1998

I was asked for a synopsis

The article is by John Moore. Still life with absinthe, Utne Reader p. 82
May-June 98, reprinted from The Idler (winter 97)

He describes drinking absinte in Prague, a little about how its made and
about wormwood, something of the chemistry (but suggests that the alcohol
is more of the active ingredient than the thujone) a bit about history
"although it makes a brief appearance in Roman and Greek history, absinthe
did not become popular until the end of the 18th century" when it was a fad
and, he makes it sound, as common in France as beer.  It was banned in a
variety of countries between 1900 and 1910.  There's abox with a series of
famous absinthe drinkers: van Gogh, Hemingway, Oscar Wilde, Picasso.

I did not learn a lot I hadn't known, and I wanted references, which it
doesn't include. There was interesting information however..
In sum: the article is worth reading but there are probably more efficient
articles if you wish to learn about absinthe.
Agnes

kkeeler1 at unl.edu