HERB - long pepper

Beth Ann Snead ladypeyton at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 20 14:26:52 PDT 1998

---Christina <magdlena at texas.net> wrote:

> > source: Boke of Wine - Arnald de Villanova translated 1948 from the
> > German version printed in 1437
>
>     I don't have any references for that book.  Does it have an
ISBN?  If it
> does, could you send it to me?  I'm on a major quest for period
brewing sources,
> especially period cordials.

No it doesn't have an ISBN.  You might find it under: Book of Wine by
Arnald of Villanova or by looking up the translator Henry Sigerist.  I
found it in the Philadelphia Public Library in the rare book stacks.
The very nice librarian let me *carefully* copy the pages that I
needed.  I might add that unless you are interested in winemaking the
recipes are useless.  There are no brewing recipes whatsoever and the
cordial recipes always use wine (either finished, in full ferment or
distilled) except one which calls for actually grafting a grape vine.
Sugar is never an ingredient so the results aren't the sweet, heavy
bodied liqueur one thinks of when they hear the word "cordial."

>     At a guess, it'll always taste medicinal, but serious aging
might help.
> (2-5 yrs?)

Period wines were not aged longer than one year.  Since thay were bulk
stored in wooden casks they didn't last any longer without oxidation
or vinigration.  Due to the ingredients used in the recipes in this
book (including "Wine from Memory") they wouldn't have been aged
either.

Good luck hunting for the book.

==
Lettice, Lady Peyton

"Time spent without a glass of wine is time wasted"
					-Albert Einstein