HERB - kiddie pool gardening

Christina magdlena at texas.net
Tue Jul 21 09:03:42 PDT 1998

Gaylin Walli wrote:

> >I think that if I were using this approach, I would also
> avoid most mints unless I was reserving the pool exclusively
> for said purpose. I would also avoid lemon balm.

and oregano.  same reason.

A couple of suggestions...

    To hide your kiddie pool, you might consider going to a hardware/gardenware
store and buying the wired together wooden garden borders.  I forget what they are
called, but they are short (3-6") wooden stakes wired together to make ornamental
borders.  I believe you can get them tall enough to hide the sides of your pool.

    Double layer your pool.  Put a smaller pool inside of a larger one, perforate
the sides, and fill the remaining space with water.  The water will provide an
insect barrier, and in hot summers it helps with watering.  It also keeps the
plants cooler.

    If you have a cat, the 30 lb cat litter buckets make great deep rooting
planters.  They make good potato boxes, and great tomato planters.

Good luck!
-Magdalena