HERB - Roots

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Jun 2 10:03:55 PDT 1998

Well, this discussion is dovetailing nicely into something I have been
meaning to ask about.  I do not generally use plants that are found on
the roadside.  I believe that originally the reason for this is the lead
found in most gasolines, which is not present today.  However, I also
feel that the general dirt, petroleum byproducts, etc. generated by
motorized traffic has to at some level be leeched into the plant.  I live
in the center of the city, so all of my yard is exposed to the air, but
the front half is only 10 - 15 feet from the road.
What do you think?

Second, I am growing echinacea purpurea for the first time, and I can't
help but look at the plants and think, "150.00 a pound for dried
echinacea root, hmmm,..."  I also have some very healthy parsley, and the
discussion of parsley roots has me thinking as well.   Should I be
concerned about using the roots of plants that grow 10 feet from a busy
road?  What about 30 feet, and down a terraced hillside, with trees,
bushes, etc. in between?

Environmentally yours,
	Christianna