Echinacea, was Re: HERB - Roots

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Tue Jun 2 13:27:26 PDT 1998

> Second, I am growing echinacea purpurea for the first time, and I can't
> help but look at the plants and think, "150.00 a pound for dried
> echinacea root, hmmm,..." <snip>

> Environmentally yours,
> 	Christianna

That got me thinking to, so when found one potted, I grabbed it!

*As I recall* the virtues of a herb like Comfrey or Echinacea are strongest
at springtime (growing season) in the leaves/flowers/new growth and
strongest in the fall in the roots.  (Hence you only know if you have the
right part if you know when it was harvested.)  (No, I don't recall my
source for this information right now.)

Anyway, I have my Echinacea at work with me, where it seems quite happy to
be continually cut back.  (I harvest individual leaves as they seem ready,
then take them home to dry & store them.)  An added advantage is that last
week when people were getting sick, I started to get a sore throat.  So I
ate a couple leaves, went in the bathroom & gargled some salt, and DIDN'T
come down with what everyone got.  Don't know about becoming a supplier,
but it certainly beats having to pay for the stuff, eh what?
--Katherine