HERB - Watermelon

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jun 3 05:54:34 PDT 1998

In a message dated 6/3/98 1:01:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time, owner-
herbalist at Ansteorra.ORG writes:

<< M'Lord
    Cariadoc of the Bow (no offense intended, I'm still learning how to
    address people) cited the Andalusian cookbook as having a recipie
    for making fresh dates out of dried ones that calls for watermelon.

    - Aislinn >>

I don't seem to remember any reference for making fresh dates from dried ones
posted by His Grace from the Andalusian cookbook but I posted a recipe very
similar to what you describe from The Baghdad Cookery Book (al-Baghdadi).
Here it is:

To Make Fresh Dates from Dried

1 Watermelon
1 LB Dried Dates

Cut a circular opening in the top of the watermelon large enough to allow
entrance of your hand.  Save the piece cut out.  Reach in and remove the seeds
and flesh, squeezing and leaving the liquid behind.  Put the dates into the
watermelon.  Replace the cut out section.  Leave in a cool place 24 hours.
Your dates will be as is they were fresh.  (Note: This technique can also be
used with figs and, I suspect other types of dried fruits. Experiment. :-))