HERB - Roots

Mary Temple noxcat at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 3 08:49:59 PDT 1998

>Second, I am growing echinacea purpurea for the first time, and I can't
>help but look at the plants and think, "150.00 a pound for dried
>echinacea root, hmmm,..."  I also have some very healthy parsley, and
the
>discussion of parsley roots has me thinking as well.   Should I be
>concerned about using the roots of plants that grow 10 feet from a busy
>road?  What about 30 feet, and down a terraced hillside, with trees,
>bushes, etc. in between?
>
>Environmentally yours,
>	Christianna

(sigh) I was reading an article in a recent Newsweek about the struggle
to standardize the term "organic" in regards to produce, and one of the
things they were saying was that even the "organic" foods had pesticide
and herbicide residues. It's in the rainwater, AND the tap water.
Blech...

But the EPA says that's it's all in the "safe" range...now, how much you
believe them is another story...

Catriona Rowley