HERB - What's 'Organic'?

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Wed Jun 3 10:02:34 PDT 1998

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Christine A Seelye-King wrote:
> The new legislation that just passed will require the term "Organic" to
> mean:
> 	No post consumer waste has been used as fertilizer
> 	(ie.- no sludge from sewage plants)
>
> 	No irradiation
>
> 	No chemical pesticides
>
> That's it.  Actually, we thought the FDA was going to really drop the
> ball on this one, but the general concensis at the health food store I
> work at is that these are OK guidelines.

Note that 'organic' meat can, by those guidelines, include steroids, and
animals can be fed on ground-up meat supplements. (The only way to be sure
about the ground-up meat supplements is to purchase kosher meat, but that
doesn't help you with pork! *grin*)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental; HERMS Cyclonus)
         aka Aunt Bunny, mka Jennifer Heise
jenne at tulgey.browser.net

"To love in deed and in truth..." (from canonization mass for Jadwiga of Wawel)