HERB - Charlemagne's list

fiona@ns1.alaweb.com fiona at ns1.alaweb.com
Thu Jun 4 02:14:09 PDT 1998

#26 is probably Dame's Rocket, which I have seen in some of my herb books.
Orrach may be orris root, but I am not sure!

"Dragon" rings a bell but I am not sure.  I think it has something to do with
gum tracaranth (sp??)  which is used in making gesso, which was used as a fixture
for gold leaf in period illumination.  I am away from home for a few days, so
I will have to check my sources when I get back.

#34 "Savin" is similar to the French word for soap - I think it's "savon"..
this might be a reference to soapwort.

Again, all this is speculation on my part.  What is the original source again?
 Time period and language might help to decipher the more unfamiliar names of
the herbs.

Just an idea or two...
Fiona macLachlan
Shire of Thorngill