HERB - Lists -Reply and Kitchen list

Norman White gn-white at tamu.edu
Wed Jun 10 06:31:33 PDT 1998

Jin Liu Ch'ang here,

Jasmine wrote:
>Better still would be any recent printing or facsimile reference
>with ISBN, LCCN, or possible leads for putting copies in our
>own meager libraries!

Tusser, Thomas. 1580.  Five Hundred Points of Good Husbandry.
The version I am using is a printing of the 1580 edition (it went through several starting in 1573) from 1984 by Oxford University Press with an introduction by Geoffrey Grigson. It has over 150 pages of notes following the text and an index which always helps. Unfortunately it is out of print and no other versions are in print according to the local books in print computer at Barnes and Nobles.
ISBN 0-19-286040-2
Now for the list (I left in short notes included with the plant names)

Seedes and Herbes for the Kitchen
1. Avens  2. Betanie  3. Bleets or beets, white or yellow  4. Bloodwoort  5. Buglas  6. Burnet  7. Burrage  8. Cabage remove in June  9. Clarie
10. Coleworts  11. Cresses  12. Endive  13. Fenell  14. French malows
15. French Saffron set in August  16. Langdebiefe  17. Leekes remove in June  18. Lettis remove in May  19. Longwort  20. Liverwort
21. Marigolds often cut  22. Mercurie  23. Mints at all times  24. Nep
25. Onions from December to March  26. Orach or arach, redde and white  27. Patience  28. Perceley  29. Peneriall  30. Primerose  31. Poret
32. Rosemary in the spring time to growe south or west  33. Sage red and white  34. English Saffron set in August  35. Summer saverie
36. Sorell  37. Spinage  38. Suckerie  39. Siethes  40. Tanzie  41. Time
42. Violets of all sorts   43. Winter saverie

Jin Liu Ch'ang
gn-white at tamu.edu