HERB - chamomile tea & thyme

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Wed Jun 10 18:20:47 PDT 1998

> >Collect the flower tops in the morning.
>
> OK, I'll bite.  Why in the morning?  Is it that this is when they have
the
> most moisture in them, or for another reason?

Well, for one, the sun hasn't been drying all the oils out of the flower
all day long.  Yet.....

> When ready for tea, boil some
> >water.
>
> Do they have to be fresh flowers, or can I hang them to dry and store
them
> in an air tight container?  Should I freeze them fresh?

If you choose to dry them, use a teaspoon of dried flowers instead of a
handful.
To dry them, hang upside down in a dry, dark place for 3 days or until dry.
 (dark, because LIGHT actually causes some of the chemicals we want to
break down.)  Store in an airtight jar in a dark place.  (or in a dark jar.
 Whichever.)  I prefer dried to frozen.  They come out of the freezer all
slimy.....

> By the way, anyone going to Black Tower this weekend (in the East)?  I'm
> looking to give some of my oregano and thyme away.  This taking over the
> garden patch has GOT to stop.  For some reason, I can't kill anything in
> that patch of land.  The oregano has grown two feet tall (at which point
it
> falls over and jumps the fence into the lawn, let me tell you, mowing
> oregano makes the neighbors look at you funny) and the thyme is up to one
> foot tall.  HELP, it's trying to take over!!
>
> Anyone interested should see me at my merchant booth--Thorny Rose.
>
> Lyn Greaves
> Lady Rosamund d'Alwareton
>      OM, OTerp, OSalamander
> Thorny Rose

Your thyme won't die, mine won't live!! Neither my mother nor I have been
able to keep thyme alive longer than a week...and between us we've tried
everything!!
Katherine Blackthorne
Province of Golden Rivers
Principality of Cynagua