HERB - List 2 Herbes and Roots for sallets and Sauce

Norman White gn-white at tamu.edu
Thu Jun 11 13:30:02 PDT 1998

Greetings from Jin Liu Ch'ang

In line with my earlier posting of a list from Tusser, this is the second list.  It will of course have some repeats from the earlier list.  The citation is the same as the earlier list.

As noted earlier, many of the herbs are repetitions from the Charlemagne list.  I imagine this would remain true for any such lists until the influx of new plants from the western hemisphere (New World) and Indochina.

Herbes and Rootes for Sallets and Sauce

1. Alexanders, at all times  2. Artichoks  3. Blessed thistle or Cardus benedictus  4. Cucmbers in April and May  5.  Cresies, sowe with Lettice in the spring.  6. Endive  7. Mustard seede, sowe in the spring and at Mihelmas  8. Musk million, in April and May  9. Mints  10. Purslane
11. Radish, and after remove them  12. Rampions  13. Rokat, in April
14. Sage  15. Sorell  16. Spinage, for the sommer  17. Sea holie
18. Sperage, let growe two yeares, and then remove  19. Skirrets, set these plants in March  20. Suckerie  21. Tarragon, set in slippes in March
22. Violets of all colours

With an addition called "Thes buie with the penie Or looke not for anie"

1. Capers  2. Lemmans  3. Olives  4. Orengis  5. Rise  6. Sampire

This list capers, lemons, olives, oranges, rice, and sampire are apparently (I am not sure for capers and sampire as I do not know these plants) agricultural plants which are too tropical in nature for growth in England.

Norman White
a.k.a. Jin Liu Ch'ang
gn-white at tamu.edu