HERB - Mint, yet again!

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Thu Jun 11 14:44:26 PDT 1998

lady Francesca asked:

>Is it possible to candy mint leaves and keep them for a period of time?
>Does anyone know how to do so, and how to preserve them?  We're doing an
>event in March of 99, and I have access to plenty of mint now.  Any answers
>will be gratefully appreciated!  Thanks.

Sure. I just did this for a cousin's wedding cake. Take an
egg and carefully separated the yolk from the white. Save
the yolk for some other project, but lightly beat the white
to break it up a little (but not enough to form tons of bubbles).

Using a small, cheap, watercolor paintbrush, paint the egg white
over every surface of a mint leaf until it's entirely covered.
Once covered with white, sprinkle superfine white sugar over
the entire leaf, covering all the parts you coated with egg.
(You'll see if you missed any spots with egg at this point.)

Don't have superfine sugar? Take some regular white sugar and
crush it a bit in a mortar. Or, use the back of a sturdy, metal
spoon against a hard, non-porous surface.

When you've coated enough leaves, set them in a cool, dry, place
to dry out and harden. If you're quick enough, you should be
able to catch the mint leaves before they darken. Be sure to use
leaves you've picked fresh. Non-fresh leaves have a tendency to
be too droopy. You can still candy the droopy ones, but the job
becomes infinitely harder.

And in case you're wondering about the infamous egg poison, that
part sticks with the yolk. Don't break the yolk when you're
separating the white from it and you should be okay. If it still
gives you the creeps, try using a powdered egg or egg substitute
available at fine cake and candy making stores.

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm
g.walli at infoengine.com or jasmine at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
-- Hroswith of Gandersheim